« Loser | Main | Coat Clepto »

Sin City?

Sunday, March 16th
5:20am - Walked in form of zombie to bathroom where showered making all efforts to stay sleeping during cleansing ritual.
5:45am - Paced apartment recalling pictures of all packed necessities in mind ensuring would not arrive in Vegas without any underwear.
5:50am - Left apartment in blur. Met Dad, drove to airport.
6:20am - Arrived at HHH terminal.
6:22am - Found end of check-in line for Champion Air. It was about 400 people deep. Dad sent me for coffee while he held our space in line. Found fresh coffee plus Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason for $6.99. This was going to be a great day. The coffee was too hot to drink but I needed the wake up immediately so I removed the lid encouraging it to cool off quickly. I was worried about being bumped and burned but assured myself that my Dad was there to protect me, besides I was on vacation. I was invincible.
6:34am - Old man and old woman are walking my direction. I back up a step to let them through but then they stop as if I'd invited them to cut in line. Dad says, "If you're looking for the Champion Air line, the end is over there." The old man moves abruptly towards me and before I know it, coffee is on my hand, wrist and yet I'm strangely worried about it getting on my luggage. Everything is in slow motion now. Luckily, the burn was just superficial and was gone by the time we arrived in Vegas. Is this the way you want to start a vacation that is based so much on luck?
9:45am Vegas time - Broke nail on way to pick up rental car.
10:10am - Check into MGM. Assume we will not be able to obtain room until 3 or 4 as have watched other guests be turned away. Pleasantly surprised room is ready. Change out of coffee stained shirt and into brand new Vegas clothes.

Let the fun begin!

On my suggestion, Sunday evening we saw Jubilee at Bally's. It was absolutely fantastic! The typical Vegas showgirl/variety show. Very entertaining. Dad promised to tell everyone that I took him to see a booby show.

Monday, March 17th
Went to the Hoover Dam in the morning. What a fantastic thing to see! It's a short 30 minute drive and it's just amazing. The tour is definitely worth it - you see a narrated slide show and then take an elevator down 400 or so feet to take a look at the generators. It's just something else to see this gigantic structure coming out of a mountain.

Monday evening we were amazed by "O" at the Bellagio. It was truly Cirque du Soleil at their best. The entire show is done in, over and around water. Synchronized swimming, trapeze, contortion, diving, russian trapeze and on and on... It's a must see.

After the show, we made our way to Fremont Street (downtown) for the St. Patrick's Day celebration. After all I have been in the USA for 24 years today! The street is covered and a light show commences on the hour - we arrived a few minutes before the show started. We gambled a bit and I had green beer served in a ceramic leprechaun named "Mr. O'Lucky." We met up with Greg, Kevin and his girlfriend at the Golden Nugget before we left. We ended up having "dinner" with them and taking in their NHL faux-star meeting, hotel room trashing stories.

Tuesday, March 18th
Tuesday morning we went to the Stratosphere intending to go up in the tower and ride the Big Shot and the Rollercoaster, but both rides were closed due to wind. We toured the casino and played a bit. Dad wasn't feeling well so I had him drop me off at Ceasar's Palace while he went back to MGM for a rest. I played Kelly's $5 on the money wheel, lost and headed to the Venetian in search for the green adventure shoes I saw in the Jay Leno magazine. Turns out they don't carry them so I headed to the Bellagio to pick up my Dad's statue he bought from "O". I then started walking towards the MGM. I didn't think it was very far away - after all I could see it. 40 minutes later I'm finally at NY NY which is across the street from MGM. One of the bike chariots there kindly asks me if I'd like a ride anywhere. I asked him where the heck he was back at the Bellagio! Back in the room, I took a short cat nap and then we headed down to eat - we planned on seeing the Treasure Island and Mirage free shows. Dad still wasn't feeling well though and in the end we decided it'd be best for him to rest so he'd be OK to see the Grand Canyon on Wednesday. I made a night of gambling at MGM - winning 350 quarters on my first 75 cents on the Wheel of Fortune machines. Was loads of fun. Made my way to the black jack table where I played for over 3 hours. I just about broke even and headed up to bed at about 11.

Wednesday, March 19th
Woke at 7am and embarked on the 4.5 hour drive to the Grand Canyon at 8am. Was absolutely incredible! Took lots of pictures and stopped at about 4 of the observation points. Headed back to town at about 2:30.

Saw the 8:30pm Pirate show and the Volcano at the Mirage. Took a leisurely walk back to the MGM. Tomorrow was going to be an early one - had to be at the airport by 6am!

Thursday, March 20th
Bye bye Vegas. <sniff>

Most Memorable food:
Rainforest Cafe: MGM - Crabcake sandwich
Noodles: Venetian - Shrimp and hand rolled rice noodes, also shrimp soft noodles, mmmmm!

Can't wait to go back!


TrackBack URL for this entry:

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)

Creative Commons License
This weblog is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Powered by
Movable Type 3.2